Jobs with Momentum
Momentum Development Director
Seeking: Development Director. Preference for full-time, but half-time is possible for the right candidate.
Momentum (www.momentumcommunity.org) is a training institute and learning community dedicated to understanding and building popular movements for progressive change. Our curriculum addresses questions like: What makes movements like Black Lives Matter, Occupy, and the Trump Resistance go viral, and others go nowhere? How exactly do popular movements make a difference, anyway? And how can progressives build lasting movements that overcome the common cycle of boom and bust?
Momentum seeks an experienced Development Director to create and implement a fundraising strategy that includes cultivating, securing and maintaining contributions from foundations, high-net-worth individuals, and small donors. The Development Director will be a key leader on our team of 4 staff and several dozen committed volunteers, and will help drive the expansion of Momentum.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop and implement a comprehensive fundraising plan to ensure that the organization meets its annual financial goals and develops a strong financial base for the future.
- Take primary responsibility for identifying new funding opportunities.
- Partner with the Executive Director in cultivating relationships with foundations and individuals.
- Write grant applications to foundations, track reporting requirements, and write grant reports.
- Lead the staff and Momentum volunteers in participatory crowd-funding and other small-to-mid-sized donor campaigns, including designing the campaigns, training staff and volunteers to make money asks, and holding fundraisers accountable to their commitments.
- Work with the National Coordinator to strengthen our fundraising through email.
- Work with the staff to align organizational budgets with fundraising prospects.
- Enhance our database systems for individual and institutional donors.
- Alignment with Momentum’s purpose and principles.
- Experience designing and leading a development strategy.
- Experience and demonstrated ability in securing foundation grants, including research, cultivation and writing grant proposals.
- Experience in leading crowd-funders or other volunteer team fundraisers is a plus.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Self-motivated, creative, resourceful, meticulous, and reliable. Willing to work flexibly and meet emerging needs in a small but growing organization.
- Must be willing to travel 5 days per month for meetings, and must be able to work remotely with focus and efficiency.
Ideal candidates would have:
- Prior attendance at a Momentum training and familiarity with our material.
- Fluency in social movement history and strategic approaches.
- Experience working with people from a variety of backgrounds, identities, and approaches to social change.
- Comfort being emotionally honest and working in a relationship-oriented environment.
- Women, People of Color, and LGBTQ people strongly urged to apply.
How to apply: Applications will only be accepted electronically. Please email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to email@example.com. Please include a daytime phone number where we can contact you. We are seeking to fill this position as soon as possible; deadline for applications is April 1.
Location: Candidate can be based anywhere, with preference for Boston, Los Angeles, or New York.
Salary: Compensation is negotiable. Our current staff practices needs based compensation. If you are the right person to join our team, we are committed to meeting your financial needs.